Patch 5.5 is now available for Final Fantasy 14 Online.
The Final Fantasy 14 Online update, titled Death Unto Dawn, introduces new story content set to lead directly into the upcoming fourth expansion Endwalker, alongside the third chapter of YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse – the Nier-inspired alliance raid.
The patch also brings plenty of battle content, system updates, and more.
Today also marks the start of the open beta for the PS5 version of the game. You can look forward to a range of new features and additions, including framerate improvements, faster load times, 4K resolution support, DualSense haptic feedback, new trophies, and 3D audio support.
If you have a PS4 license registered to your account, you can upgrade to the PS5 Upgrade Edition at no extra cost at the start of the open beta period. New players can experience the game on the PS5 via the Free Trial version.
The full PlayStation 5 version will be available for purchase following the conclusion of the open beta.
Further details on Patch 5.5 content are outlined below:
- New Main Scenario Quests – Prospects of peace may soon fall to ruin, as Fandaniel and the Telophoroi scheme to recreate the Final Days, and ominous towers rise in all corners of the realm. With the servants of chaos amassing at every turn, will the Scions uncover their plot before it is too late?
- New Alliance Raid: The Tower at Paradigm’s Breach – The white-garbed 2P’s discovery was the first domino to fall in a series of conflicts that have only escalated since the arrival of the black-shrouded 2B, the pattern they form growing ever more complex. The time of revelation may be at hand, but is this tale one of hope…or despair?
- “Sorrow of Werlyt” Questline Finale – With adamantine armor and a beating, blood-red core, the Diamond Weapon is the culmination of countless sacrifices and untold suffering. When the ultimate triumph of the VIIth Legion’s monstrous Weapon project descends upon Werlyt, who will be saved, and who shall fall?
- New Trial: The Cloud Deck – The advent of the Empire’s final and most fatal Weapon sees Gaius and the Warrior of Light take to the skies aboard Cid’s latest creation. Players can face off against the fearsome Diamond Weapon in this latest trial, which will be available in both Normal and Extreme difficulties.
- New Dungeon: Paglth’an – Players can tackle this new story dungeon alongside fellow adventurers or a party of non-player characters via Trust System compatibility.
- “Save the Queen” Questline Update – This latest update includes a new field area, “Zadnor,” an increased resistance rank cap, final enhancement of resistance weapons, and more.
- New Unreal Trial – The next powered-up primal, Leviathan, has returned from A Realm Reborn to terrorize level 80 heroes, providing them with a hefty challenge and chances at unique rewards.
- Crafter Updates – High-level crafters can look forward to new content in Patch 5.5 that will earn them special achievements and unique crafting tools.
- Ishgard Restoration Update – As a new age dawns in Ishgard, luminaries from across Eorzea have been invited to the Firmament to take part in a ceremony commemorating this momentous occasion. Players can obtain rewards by participating in gatherer- and crafter-focused events which will occur during these periodic celebrations.
- “Explorer Mode” Update – The Explorer Mode feature will be expanded to include level 70 dungeons. Explorer Mode allows players to explore dungeons free from danger to capture striking and fun screenshots while enabling the use of mounts and minions. Players will also now be able to use performance actions while in dungeons, such as playing musical instruments.
- New Game+ Updates – Relive even more past adventures in Patch 5.5 with the addition of Eden, the Sorrow of Werlyt, and other Tales from the Shadows. Main scenario quests from Patch 5.4 to Patch 5.55 and YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse are also coming to New Game+ in Patch 5.55.
- New Custom Deliveries – House Durendaire is considered the foremost of the noble houses of Ishgard, and Count Charlemend stands at its head. Thus, when such a dignitary is seen skulking about the Firmament, it could scarcely go unnoticed. What manner of surreptitious business could have brought the man to the newly rebuilt district?
- Performance Action Updates – A new instrument will be added with Patch 5.55.
- Job Adjustments for PvE and PvP Actions, New Mounts, Minions, and more.
You also have the Digital Fan Festival to look forward to May 14-15. On May 14, you can expect a keynote detailing new information on Endwalker, a developer panel, and a piano concert. May 15’s event will feature a Letter from the Producer Live and a concert from The Primals.
For more information on the Digital Fan Festival 2021, visit the official website here.
The fourth expansion pack to Final Fantasy 14 Online, Endwalker, is scheduled to release in fall 2021 for PC, Mac, PS4, and PS5.